52. The Offer


        The false replica on offer in the Atlan Empire was not the traditional Lemurian Moonwine that came from the grapes grown on the southern slopes of Crystal Mountain, just a few miles from the town of Mu, a seaside town on the western peninsula of Lemuria where the Star Tribe lived. Neter, the leader of the Star Tribe, worked alongside his fellow vintners in the ancient vineyards every day, spending a great deal of his time tending to the ancient vines. An unusually sudden gust of wind rustled through the leaves, he looked up and gazed down the hill towards the harbor below... There was a ship approaching... "Look!"
         Nahash, his fellow vintner stood up from the vines to see the attraction, he recognized the sail. "It's from Atlan... I wonder who it is..."
         Neter stood up, holstering his tools. "I'll go check it out."
        
         As the boat neared the shore, Neter recognized the sailor and the emblem on the sail. It was Orius.
         "Neter, my brother!" Orius embraced his presence as he disembarked from the ship.
         "Orius! What a surprise!" Neter replied with some reservation. "What have we today? Another Field Trip to LaLaLand?"
         Orius could detect sarcasm, it only assured him Neter was still bitter about the book.
         "Oh, wait, let me guess. More mental illness?"
         This was exactly why he was here. Orius stepped forward holding out a leather bag, being as sincere as he could. "I came to apologize" he hung his head in shame. "I just want you to know that I am very sorry for what those assholes did, it was very immature."
         Neter was skeptical, he eyed the leather bag without reaching for it.
         "I am returning this to you" Orius held it out farther. "I'm sorry the jewels on the cover look like they've been..."
         "Stolen" Neter snatched the bag.
         "I cannot guarantee that it's all there and I'm sure it has been duplicated but it's the best I can do."
         Neter didn't have to open it, the energy felt right, he knew the book was inside. "Thanks."
         "Also... I came to say goodbye."
         This was news Neter hadn't heard before. "Goodbye? Why?"
         "You were right all along," Orius replied. "Atalon really is insane, it's only a matter of time before his entire empire goes down. I can’t watch."
         Neter chuckled, he had heard that one before but still had to see it happen. "So? Where are you going?"
         "Atalon's colonizing Ebar, I volunteered to protect them from this insanity."
         "You're going to Ebar?" Neter was really surprised now. "Wow..." He was a little impressed too. "What took you so long to wake up?" 
         "I don't know." Orius had become enlightened lately, his energy felt genuine. 
         "Thank you" Neter replied, offering his hand. "For waking up."
         The handshake turned into an embrace, the first embrace the brothers had made in over a century.

         The visit was short. Orius made his way back up the ramp of the ship, then paused. "Ebar is beautiful and bountiful, unaltered tribes still exist there you know. I'll be hiring many tradespeople, there will be plenty of work for everyone… Why don't you come too? I can have a utility vessel sent over, no one needs to know."
         Neter smiled, warmed by his consideration. "Someone has to be here for the refugees."
         "Of course!" Orius waved him off and headed onboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment